A motorcycle is not a bicycle, you can’t just throw it over your shoulder. For most motorcyclists, the fall of their unit is equal to a heart attack, as thoughts about possible repairs and scratches on the body immediately run through in a herd. Later, after a cursory examination and a liter of valerian, the question arises, how to raise the motorcycle so as not to cripple it even more, and also not to rip your beloved’s back?
I remember my first attempts to lift a heavy road builder, after he could not resist on the side step, which went into the sand and the motorcycle lay gloriously on its side. Before that, I had never dropped such heavy units, and I was ashamed to call Chip and Dale for help. It seemed to me that I was giving birth while I was trying to pick it up and after about an hour of persuasion, “Come on, just a little more!” I just wanted to spit and call a tow truck.
Lifting the motorcycle with only your arms and shoulder girdle is possible, provided that it is really small and light.
But if you try to restore the vertical position of something sofa-like in this way, then you can say goodbye to the back, and there are legends that the back is a necessary thing.
The strongest muscles in the human body are not in the arms, but in the legs. Moreover, as while riding, we control the motorcycle by squeezing it with our legs, but not with the grip of our hands, then we will have to lift it with the help of our legs, respectively. The principle of leverage, with which some were willing to turn the whole world, will help lift the motorcycle as well. The most successful fulcrum in the human body is the lower back. Therefore, no lifts with your hands, but only back support and leg strength!
- Stop the engine while the motorcycle is running.
- Unload the motorcycle from excess attachments, bags, wardrobe trunk
- Prepare for lifting, align wheels, fold back footrest, shift gear
- Rest your lower back on the most convenient point, more often this is the base of the tank
- Grab onto parts of the frame with your hands to hold it and help yourself
- Spread your legs not very wide and not far away, so that it is convenient to rise
- Gently, swinging upwards, push the motorcycle
Note that sometimes, to celebrate, the driver literally throws the motorcycle over and … rolls it over on the other side! Do not do like this. I personally know a pilot who, because of this focus, bought a full set of plastic for his liter sports bike instead of replacing one side. Control the ascent of the motorcycle by walking slowly towards it while lifting.
How to quickly turn a motorcycle on the spot?
The problem of turning a standing motorcycle, when there is no room for maneuver, happens either when a completely unsuccessful fall, or in an off-road trip, when you cannot run a circle with a heavy motorcycle due to the landscape.
A method that works 80% of the time.
Yes, before doing this, take a look around to make sure you don’t make things worse, don’t snag on anything, trip over or bury your footboard in the mud. Works perfectly on tall bikes and sidestands, but with a centerstand, you have to put more effort into it.
- We remove all unnecessary, bags, wardrobe trunks
- We grab the steering wheel with this hand, pushing it into the extreme position, with the other for part of the frame
- Tilt the motorcycle towards you so that its weight is supported only on the step, the front wheel and you. If the footrest is central, then you need it to come off the ground at one end
- Using the footrest as the main fulcrum, we move the motorcycle on it around its axis
In such simple, but quite effective ways, you can get out of an awkward situation. Of course, the fall of a motorcycle is always a special case, as well as its mass indicators, because not every motorcycle can be lifted without someone else’s help.